Nearly 4 million Australians have hearing or vision impairments, and this number is growing as our population ages.
The ‘accessible cinema’ initiative, is a joint effort of the Independent Cinemas Association of Australia and Media Access Australia (MAA) , funded by the Federal department of Health and Ageing, has doubled current cinema access levels for Australians who are hearing and vision impaired.
The independent cinema sector has embraced access with enthusiasm. They are in touch with their local communities and are very adaptable to new audiences and new ways of promoting their services.
The independent accessible cinema locations are:
· Palace Verona, Paddington NSW
· Cmax Cinemas, Darwin NT
· Cinema Nova, Carlton Melbourne VIC
· Deakin Cinema Complex, Mildura VIC
· Sale Cinemas, VIC
· Dendy Canberra Centre, ACT
· Cmax Cinemas Devonport TAS
· Grand Cinemas, Bunbury, WA
· Big Screen Cinemas, Hervey Bay, QLD
· Palace Nova East End Cinemas, Adelaide SA
· Whyalla Cinema, SA